[time-nuts] NTP jitter with Linux

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 22:44:50 UTC 2012

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 1:03 PM,  <shalimr9 at gmail.com> wrote:
> An older laptop (Pentium M for instance) can be had for $80 or so any day of the week, won't take much space, is completely standalone (built-in keyboard and display, built-in battery backup) and sips power when idle, which it will be most of the time.

I'm using one of these.  Uses even less power
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-board-di510mo.html
 Brand new they cost well under $100 (assuming you can provide a case
and power)

Whatever you use do make sure it has a "real" serial port not just
USB.  It is getting harder to find new equipment that has RS232.    So
if you use a notebook make sure it has rs232

Yes the notebook has a screen and keyboard but after you are set up
you don't need that.   I've used notebooks.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California