[time-nuts] Improving performance of a GPS antenna...?

Morris Odell vilgotch at bigpond.net.au
Thu Apr 5 23:26:23 UTC 2012

Thanks for the replies.

Yes it's definitely 5V from the receiver.

That advice re the pipe mount sounds good - that will be the next step!

Morris

Are you sure that the Oncore VP sends the right voltage to the antenna?
This type needs 5 V and most pucks are designed for 3.3 V .  According
to the manual the VP sends 5 V to the antenna but anyway it is easy to
measure.

Regards,
Ignacio, EB4APL

The timing antenna inside the pointed radome is a helix, not a
patch antenna.
Are helix antenna designed to be used with baseplates like the pie
tin?  (I'm not sure.) The obvious experiment is to remove the plate
and mount it as it was designed to be mounted on a pole.  It is very
easy to make a proper mount for this kind of antenna, just buy 3/4
pipe flang from any hardware store and a short section of 3/4 inch
pipe.  I was lucky to find the pipe flange had holes in the correct
location but one could also mount it to the flange using velcro or
double side foam tape.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California