[time-nuts] 1 pps correction

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sat Apr 7 10:59:26 UTC 2012

On Sun, 1 Apr 2012 19:10:59 +0000
shalimr9 at gmail.com wrote:

> It seems to me that if standalone GPS timing receivers used a VCXO
> instead of a fixed frequency clock, the cost delta would not be that
> significant, and they too could avoid the need for sawtooth correction.

Not really. You'd need a low noise, low DNL, high resolution DAC to
stear the VCXO. Analog electronic costs considerably more than a tiny bit
of software and eats a lot more power.

Maybe you can get away with using one of the Silicon Labs programmable
oscillators instead of a VCXO and a DAC. But IIRC they only have a
frequency setting, no phase setting, so you need some way to fix the
phase offset.

			Attila Kinali

--
Why does it take years to find the answers to
the questions one should have asked long ago?