[time-nuts] 60Hz More or Less

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 7 13:42:50 UTC 2012

On 4/7/12 3:17 AM, Attila Kinali wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Apr 2012 07:18:18 -0700
> Jim Lux<jimlux at earthlink.net>  wrote:
>
>> John Strong's book on making stuff ("procedures in experimental
>> physics") probably has a lot of the details (like how they put the
>> reflective coating on the mirror).  That book is a fascinating look at
>> state of the art in the early part of the 20th century (you want to make
>> your own Geiger-Muller tubes... it's in there).  Every physics/lab
>> tinkerer should have a copy (it's cheap in paperback from Lindsay books
>> (http://www.lindsaybks.com/... don't know if they still have it), or
>> probably Amazon, too)(just checked amazon.. $35 for used??? what are
>> they thinking)
>
> Oh.. 35USD isnt that bad...

Yeah, but this is a book that's out of copyright that Lindsay was
selling for something like $6 paperback..

Lindsay Publications is an interesting company.. they do a lot of "get
old out of print book and reprint" Very much oriented towards
do-it-yourself things, industrial revolution and later.  You want to
make a locomotive, starting with iron ore, in your backyard?   Lindsay
has all the books on how to do it, from building a cupola furnace to
make the iron and reduce it to steel, to building your own machine tools
(sand casting is your friend), to laying out the plates for the boiler
and so forth.

I don't think there's a book on building your own rolling mill, but
that's about it.

So the Strong book fits right in.  If you were working at Univ of
Chicago with Fermi, this is the book you'd have handy.  The mechanical
fabrication info is great because, face it, not much has changed with
metalworking hand and low end shop tools in more than 100 years. We
might have nice numerical readouts on the mill (and maybe CNC) but as a
rookie, you still need advice on what kind of cutter to use, how many
flutes, what speed, etc.

  The book "The Quantum Physics of Atomic