[time-nuts] FPGA GPSDO (Was: Re: NTP jitter with Linux)

Javier Herrero jherrero at hvsistemas.es
Sat Apr 7 22:35:58 UTC 2012

El 08/04/2012 00:21, Jim Lux escribió:
> On 4/7/12 10:08 AM, Javier Herrero wrote:
>> El 07/04/2012 16:02, Jim Lux escribió:
>

> RTEMS might be just what you need.  Kernel, basic OS calls for
> scheduling, queues, etc. It's nice when you decide you want threading
> to not have to graft it into a "big loop no-OS" style program.
>
> You can use native calls or POSIX style (I like POSIX, because I can
> develop on Linux and just recompile for the RTEMS target).
>
> There's all the usual GDB support as well.

Yes, it is starting to seem that would fit my needs for this project
very nicely.

> Device drivers are easy to write for RTEMS, and it has VERY fast ISRs.
> That's probably one of the big advantages..

I would say that one of the most important for me. Sometimes I've dealed
with Xenomai/Adeos and uClinux when Linux latencies and worse, latency
uncertainities, but things then start to be a bit complicated...

> It's a small footprint, stripped down RTOS, but because you can work
> with POSIX API calls, you can do most of your development in Linux
> (particuarly things like calibration interfaces and computational
> stuff) and then it ports very easily when you move it to RTEMS on the
> target.

Looks very good for several of my usual applications, where bare metal
sometimes requires too much work, and Linux requires too much footprint
:) Also, to support POSIX style is a great advantage.

I've had a quick look around www.rtems.org, and I see that it is also
ported to Blackfin, so it will also fit my usual ADSP-BF532 based
platform. I hope that the learning curve will not be too steep :)

Thanks for the info. Best regards,

Javier