[time-nuts] Austron 2201, Tbolt, HP 3801 comparison question

Charles P. Steinmetz charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com
Sun Apr 8 05:27:30 UTC 2012

Ulrich wrote:

>The Smartclock in difference seems to be able to adapt regulation
>parameters to its "measurements" of ocxo stability and long term drift.

I do not know any details about Smartclock, but I believe one of the
things it does is to adjust the oscillator disciplining parameters
(primarily the loop time constant, I suspect, but perhaps more) to
allow 3801s to reacquire lock quickly after a holdover event (or at
startup), then switch to parameters that reduce the deviation once it
is firmly locked.  You have to do that manually with a Tbolt if you
want both quick lock and best stability once locked.

It may also do as you suggest -- use heuristic methods to tweak the
"low deviation" discipline parameters -- but I do not know if that is
the case or, if so, if it is better than Kalman filtering.

Best regards,

Charles