[time-nuts] Lucent 40 dB Antenna

Charles P. Steinmetz charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com
Wed Apr 11 05:02:39 UTC 2012

Chuck wrote:

>My Lucent antenna arrived today.
>
>Has anyone compared this antenna with the mushroom that
>came from China with the used Thunderbolts???

I have five GPS antennas -- a Garmin mag-mount puck designed for
vehicular use, a Garmin marine mushroom, a Lucent "timing" antenna
like yours, a Trimble Bullet 3 (the antenna specified by Trimble for
use with the Tbolt), and an Aerotenna choke-ring survey
antenna.  Deployed in the same location, they all give very similar
signal reports from the Tbolt and track the same number of satellites
(remember, the Tbolt reports the carrier/noise ratio, not raw signal
strength, and c/n is closely correlated with the signal environment
at the antenna location unless an antenna has way too little gain or
a very noisy preamp).  This suggests that they all have sufficient
gain and low enough noise to work properly with a Tbolt.

The one difference I observe is that the choke-ring antenna shows
consistently less variability in its surveyed position, and lower
deviation of both the 10 MHz and pps, than all of the others.  I
assume that this is due to reduced multipath, but I have no way to verify it.

Best regards,

Charles