[time-nuts] Lucent 40 dB Antenna

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 05:57:07 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 10:02 PM, Charles P. Steinmetz
<charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com> wrote:

> ... Deployed in the same location,
> they all give very similar signal reports from the Tbolt and track the same
> number of satellites (remember, the Tbolt reports the carrier/noise ratio,
> not raw signal strength, and c/n is closely correlated with the signal
> environment at the antenna location unless an antenna has way too little
> gain or a very noisy preamp).  This suggests that they all have sufficient
> gain and low enough noise to work properly with a Tbolt.

That is what I think too.   That location matters so much more than
any other factor.  Even a few feet difference matters.   I see a
difference between laying the antenna on the roof and placing it three
feet above the roof on a pole.

Where are you placing your antenna?  I'm curious because you say the
choke ring helps.  Is it close to the ground, near a building?  What
might be the cause of the muiltipath that the choke ring is helping
with
Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California