[time-nuts] Best location for a GPS antenna...?

Dale J. Robertson dale at nap-us.com
Wed Apr 11 15:12:19 UTC 2012

It seems to me (and I would be more than happy to hear any differing
opinions) that your GPS antenna only needs to be high enough to be able
to see a reasonable slice of sky. i.e. if your workshop were in the
middle of a circular clearing 80 feet in diameter in a forest with an 80
foot tree canopy, 40 feet of elevation gives you a 90 degree slice of
sky. It makes no sense (again, to me) to elevate your antenna in order
to make your choke ring antenna effective against horizontal multipath.
Below the canopy there would be no horizontal multipath to deal with.
Consider your forest as a 'poor mans choke ring antenna upgrade'
As far as fiber isolation of the GPS RF, I have seen many commercial
installations like that, and judging by the cost and complexity of the
equipment used, I would say that solution is pretty non-trivial. Fiber
isolation of the thunderbolt reference clock output and serial control
would be far easier. You might even be able to rig up rudimentary solar
power  for the remote portion of the system. That would effectively
eliminate any ground path for lightning.
My 2 cents
Dale Robertson
NV8U