[time-nuts] Best location for a GPS antenna...?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 16:59:17 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 5:50 AM, Michael Baker <mpb45 at clanbaker.org> wrote:

> I have thought about finding some way to bring the GPS
> RF signal into my workshop via an optical fiber interface
> and sacrifice the RF to optical fiber interface if lightning
> strikes it in a treetop but have not found a way to implement
> this idea.

I always preface my antenna comments with "unless you live in
Florida..."   I think the way to use fiber is to place the t-bolt
inside a weathertight box mounted to the antenna mast and then run the
PPS, 10MHz and re-232 out on fiber cables.

Also you don't really need to have the GPS above the trees.  Maybe you
can find a compromise locations such that the GPS is NOT the tallest
target in the area.

I was looking to use fiber for something like this too.  I found the
best parts to use were those designed for consumer audio s/pdif like
you might have on a home theater recover or flat screen TV.  The jacks
are wired up directly to logic level and you can buy the fiber cable
at Best Buy (or cheaper at monoprice.com)

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California