[time-nuts] Best location for a GPS antenna...?

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Wed Apr 11 22:08:22 UTC 2012

Hi

If the antenna is no higher than your house, it's no more likely to get hit than the house. If it's higher than the house by a few feet, the increase in hit probability is vanishingly small. Provided the antenna is grounded as well as your house power (as in *very* poorly) it's no more a hazard than any other conductor in your home. Run it down to ground level and through a proper protector and it's less of a hazard than the rest of the conductors in the house.

Food for thought: do you have metal downspouts on the gutters? A metal lining in the chimney? Metal heating ducts ? Any bets on how they are grounded...

Bob