[time-nuts] Thoughts on lightning protection measures....

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 17:00:15 UTC 2012

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 7:22 AM, Bob Camp <lists at rtty.us> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is your house hit multiple times per year now? If so, I'd suggest that's the
> issue that needs to be solved. If not, then mount the antenna lower than the
> peak of the house and move on.

Did you not read the first post in this thread?   He said it is common
to have buried cables dangaged by near by strikes.   I assume "under
ground" is not the tallest thing around

The point about lightening is NOT if the object is directly struct.
There is nothing you can do in that case, a  "ightening arrestor" is
kind of a joke to a bolt that just jumped across a miles long air gap.

What destroyed the underground cable is the EMP pulse from a strike
that was 100 feet away.  EMP induced a current and the current was
greater then the current carrying ability of the conductor.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California