[time-nuts] Lucent 40 dB Antenna

gary lists at lazygranch.com
Sat Apr 14 00:11:42 UTC 2012

You just need a spectrum analyzer. The signal source would be the birds.

I forget who claimed the GPS signals are beneath the thermal noise. I'm
quite sure I could see them on my spectrum analyzer and will check this
weekend.

These work fine if all you need is L-band:
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/AVCOM-PSA-45D-PORTABLE-SPECTRUM-ANALYZER-L-BAND-/110838378615?pt=BI_Analyzers&hash=item19ce7b7077

You will find two vendors on Ebay. I think I mentioned the story before.
Just get the cheap one and check it out immediately. They have a few
hundred, so you can get a swap if it doesn't work. Expect to spend $50
to rebuild the Lion pack. Even then, the unit drains the pack in a few
days if you don't use it right away. None of the units have ethernet
unfortunately. I paid $40 more for my unit than the price listed in the
ad, and was supposed to get ethernet, but it never materialized. I'm
going to bug the guy to send me a junker unit since I paid extra and
didn't get what was advertised. The current advert doesn't mention
ethernet. I manged to get a serial port card from the vendor. It has the
ethernet traces on the PCB, but not populated.

Don't expect a lot of frequency accuracy. This is not HP. It is
technician gear.

The units are pulls from mil gear and were rack mounted at one point. No
feet, bail, or case included. Avcom still exists, but their accessories
are quite expensive.