[time-nuts] Lucent 40 dB Antenna

Steve steve-krull at cox.net
Sun Apr 15 01:32:06 UTC 2012

I think I got lucky. Despite the almost nonexistent packing, my antenna looks like "reasonable wear and tear" for a used item and didn't suffer much from shipping, and it passed an operational check on the bench today. Setup was an 8566B SA as receiver, bias tee on the input, 5vdc to the antenna, and about 10 inches of RG8 to the Lucent antenna, which was hand held. The source was a GS-100 GPS simulator into a log periodic that was only designed for 400 - 1000MHz but it was what I had in reach. Distance between the source antenna and the DUT was about 12". A far from optimal, cobbled together setup but it was quick and easy. With the GS-100 output connected to the SA through 18" of RG8, the signal level was set to -70 dbm for a reference. When the aforementioned crude lash up was put in place with the antenna powered up, the signal level on the SA increased 10-12 db.

This was far from scientific but it gives me enough confidence that at next opportunity I can take it up into the attic for further testing.

Steve