[time-nuts] Opinion Of Attached - Possible HPSDR GPSDO 'Engine'

Ed Palmer ed_palmer at sasktel.net
Sun Apr 15 05:18:00 UTC 2012

I recently had a chance to look at the GPSTCXO.  I was quite impressed.
It's performance is a lot better than any bare GPS receiver, but maybe
not as good as some GPSDOs.

Here are some measurements that I made on the 1 PPS of the GPSTCXO and
other GPSDOs:

GPSTCXO .... Std. Dev. < 400 ps. min-max range < 4 ns.
Tbolt ................ < 500 ps. ............. ~ 4 ns.
Z3801A ............... < 300 ps. ............. ~ 2 ns.
Z3817A ............... < 100 ps. ............. < 1 ns.

These measurements were 1000 pulses or more measured with an HP 5372A or
5370B for the Z3817A.  The Z3817A requires an external 1 PPS source to
lock to.  I used a Navsync CW12-wi.  Over longer periods of time typical
GPS wander is present in all units.

I measured the 10 MHz output of the GPSTCXO with the Histogram Time
Interval function of my 5372A.  Out of 200 million cycles, every one had
a period of either 100.0 or 100.2 ns.  There wasn't even one outlier.  I
have OCXOs that aren't nearly that good.

A few random points to remember about the GPSTCXO:
- There's no way to set the time zone offset - fixed at UTC.
- There's no way to set the elevation mask - fixed at 10 degrees.
- The Allen Deviation matched the graph in the manual which is available
at the Jackson Labs site.
- On the evaluation board, the 1 PPS is wired to the "DCD lead" on the
USB-emulated serial port.
- I can confirm that, as mentioned in the manual, performance improves
substantially when you shield the unit from temperature fluctuations.
- If you use Z38XX to communicate with the GPSTCXO be sure to disable
serial echo as described in the manual.  The GPSTCXO _really_ doesn't
like serial echo.  It can cause the unit to reboot.

The GPSTCXO stands between a bare GPS timing receiver and a typical
GPSDO.  It's performance is closer to a GPSDO than to a GPS receiver,
but it's price is closer to the bare receiver than to the price of a new
GPSDO.  It should be useful in many situations.

I have no relationship to Jackson Labs.  They did make a GPSTCXO
available to me for this testing.

Ed