[time-nuts] HP 5372A speed and stability

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun Apr 15 21:50:21 UTC 2012

On 04/15/2012 11:30 PM, Bob Camp wrote:
> Hi
>
> I think I might stand up and defend the poor old 5370. It's a beast and not anywhere as sexy as a 5371 or (better yet) the 5372. It does indeed have better single shot resolution though.

Indeed. While the later has spiffy 68k processors with floating point
units and sparkling green CRT the 5370 ticks away on a 6800 at 1,5
MHz... but there is some hope. I'm test-driving a CPU upgrade board so
my 5370B has an ethernet sneaked into it, DHCPed an address and I can
make read-outs on the built in webserver. Not even the HP5372A pulls
that off.

I need to hack away a bit on that one. But it brings new life into the
good old HP5370B, that is for sure.

Cheers,
Magnus