[time-nuts] Question about precise frequency / phase measurement

ws at Yahoo warrensjmail-one at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 21 03:55:02 UTC 2012

No page. The effect is nothing very special. No relativity.
Mostly just the effect of the oscillator's "G" sensitivity caused by tilting
and acceleration as it swings.
What is generally measured with a 2 G static turn over test.
The thing about the test is that it gives a signal that is very hard to
measure and a wave form shape that is easy to verify.
This shows how good the TPLL is at detecting small frequency changes very
quickly.
The TPLL2.0 gives the best results for that test that I've seen from any
instrument.

ws

************
On 2012/04/20 13:44, time-nuts-request at febo.com wrote:
> For a high end example showing external influences causing small freq
> variation, see the swinging OSC test  at
> http://www.thegleam.com/ke5fx/tpll/swing.gif

Neat!  Is there a page explaining a bit more about it?

I was summarizing the Hafele-Keating experiment to my brother the other
day --
just bullshitting, really, 'cause I barely know what's going on here
myself --
so it occurs to me to wonder.  Acceleration is probably the cause, but a
mechanical effect in the oscillator, "something tightened in cockpit"?
Surely
not a relativistic effect.  Not at 18 inches.  (This is where we figure out
that
I grasp the concepts, but can't actually do the problems.)