[time-nuts] In the atomclock repairshop...

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Wed Apr 25 23:10:02 UTC 2012

Hi Tom,

On 04/25/2012 10:54 PM, Tom Van Baak wrote:
> Hi Magnus,
>
> Don't you just love that Rubidium color! Like nothing else.

Rubidium actually has a deep red colour to it, it was found using the
flaming new flame spectroscopy method and is named so from the ruby-red
colour it has. So you have a combined spectrum of the Argon and rubidium
to get that colour.

Oh, and it's a 36 mm wide optical path in there... complete with a
copper reflector for the lamp. Ah well.

> With Chrome's translator I was able to follow the article ok.
> On the other hand it starts out with:
> Is your atomic clock for? Grinds it a little and needs to be
> lubricated? Does the atoms on the end? Then it's time to go
> to the atomic clock watchmaker and get checked against
> a frequency standard.

This is a better start:

Is your atomic clock slow? Does it grind a little and needs lubrication?
Does it run out of atoms? Then it's time to go to the atomic clock
watchmaker and get it checked against a frequency standard.

There is also a bad pub in the second picture-text. "Oh, and I actually
don't know of any clock which isn't built with atoms"

> The photos and diagrams are great. This article goes into far
> more technical detail than any other one covering our hobby.
> I'm impressed.

Jörgen Stedje was really enjoying himself. He read up on the LPRO 101
and I added bits and pieces. When doing the review of the article, it
was really just minor details and corrections, some rephrasing to get
the technical details into decent shape. It's indeed a good article.

Not that there isn't caesiums in that lab, but we decided to concentrate
it to rubidiums just to get one aspect clear, but still touching on the
advanced stuff.

> How much work would it be to make a quality English version
> available?

Probably not too much. There might be some IPR issues involved, but I
can ask. I think Jörgen would love the extra attention. :)

He has written many good articles, including one about the Aricebo
laboratory. As always many good photos.

Cheers,
Magnus