[time-nuts] PICTIC II ready-made?...nanode

Andrew Back andrew at carrierdetect.com
Thu Apr 26 10:08:21 UTC 2012

On 26 April 2012 01:27, Chris Albertson <albertson.chris at gmail.com> wrote:

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi
>>

> I just read the above page.  The Raspberry contains close source drivers
> and "binary blob" graphics firmware.   That is an 100% deal killer.

It's unfortunate that it makes use of binary drivers but Broadcom have
a history of not being the best in this respect. However, I'm prepared
to put up with this for a 700MHz ARM/Linux SBC for $25+VAT (if you
don't need Ethernet). If someone else comes up with, say, a TI
OMAP-based board for that price, great... But until then I'm not going
to complain when the Broadcom SoC is making this price point
possible...

As to the GPU firmware — are there many modern GPUs where you get the
source to their firmware?

Regards,

Andrew

--