[time-nuts] PICTIC II ready-made?

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 26 21:58:26 UTC 2012

On 4/26/12 1:24 PM, Hal Murray wrote:

> albertson.chris at gmail.com said:
>> 2) The IDE is written in Java and is portable.  It is truly identical on all
>> platforms.  Yes it uses gcc but the end user never has to deal with gcc or
>> even know what gcc is.  Same with saving your code, hit just puts it "some
>> place" and keeps track of it
>
> Do I have to use their particular style/GUI?  Or can I drive it from make,
> mixing in pieces I like?
>
> How is the documentation on the tool chain and libraries?  Are their good man
> pages?

The Arduino IDE is NOT make compatible, as far as I know..

The documentation is mostly wiki-like, as well as several books out
there. Lots of online forums

It's not like a gcc toolchain where you have a separate compiler,
linker, binhex, etc and utilities..

It's an *integrated* development environment.

If you want a free Java based cross platform IDE that is compatible with
make and extensible, etc. look at Eclipse.  It's what I use at work for
(mostly) C development on Windows, Linux, and RTEMS targets (using cross
compilers).  It's VERY cool, there's tons of documentation, there's tons
of useful plugins for lots of languages and capabilities (cvs, svn, git,
etc.)

What's nice is that the UI is really the same between my mac laptop, my
windows desktop machine, and the linux boxes down in the lab (although,
I confess that recently, I've been doing more "ssh -X labmachine",
because it's hooked up to the target).