[time-nuts] Trimble Thunderbolt GPS Antenna

bg at lysator.liu.se bg at lysator.liu.se
Sun Apr 29 16:51:54 UTC 2012

Hi Ken,

> Hi,  Time-Nuts guys I just baught a Trimble Thunderbolt on ebay.  I am in
> need of an antenna,  there are so many on ebay I am not sure which one to
> get. Maybe someone could point me in the right direction?
>
> Thankyou
>
> Ken Kubick

How long antenna cable do you need in your location?
How low-loss antenna cable will you use?

The orginal antenna to the Tbolt is the Trimble Bullet antenna.

   http://trl.trimble.com/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-8420/Bullet-III_DS.pdf

   Ebay #220997989191

Here is a former HP/Agilent antenna that has worked fine for me.

   http://www.symmetricom.com/products/gps-solutions/gps-timing-products-and-accessories/58532A-GPS-L1-Reference-Antenna/

Generally most GPS antennas will work. (Searching for "GPS timing antenna"
will give you some choice)

Here is a very nice antenna. Rather good gain at 33dB, LNA power from
2.5VDC to 24VDC - which means it can take the oldtimer GPS receivers
giving 12V or 15V and new giving 3.3V or lower. (Like Antcom antennas, no
dealings with that particular seller.)

   Ebay #150753929036

Datasheet

   http://antcom.com/productsheets/2G15A-XTB-1-N_D.pdf