[time-nuts] General Technology Corp model 304b

Donald Henderickx wa9ylp at sandprairie.net
Sun Apr 29 17:16:34 UTC 2012

After following Ed Palmer's thread on 304b restoration,I was inspired to
get my GTC (tracor) 304b ser#279 going.  It seems that the failure of
this unit was the break down of the foam that was wrapped around the
vcxo located inside the control box. The vapors or the moisture the foam
collected corroded the steel fasteners and caused the switches to become
intermittent.
The replacement of the foam in the control box is not that much of a
problem,what I need help with is what to use around the Rb lamp base.
The foam has turned to powder.  Should I try Home foam sealant? The
cell's ,of this seem about the same as the old foam.Will it take the
heat? Should I make a fiberglass cocoon to put around the lamp base.
The unit now achieves lock in about an hour. The only other thing I did
was to replace the caps in the main supply.
Any thoughts on the insulation?
Don H