[time-nuts] Antique Rb Standard - Thanks, Pictures, Parts Request, Question

Ed Palmer ed_palmer at sasktel.net
Sun Apr 29 19:13:54 UTC 2012

Hi Ed,

On 4/29/2012 12:28 PM, ed breya wrote:
> Yes, very nice pictures. That thing is really built and looks like it
> should be easy to work on and experiment with.
>
> I still have to say that I doubt the cavity is off-tune unless
> something serious happened to it mechanically. Is it even adjustable?

Yes, it's quite adjustable.  The end screws in and out over a range of
~0.9 to 1.07 inches for the inside length of the cavity.  I suspect that
the reason the cavity was mistuned wasn't because of the cavity changing
mechanically but because the cell drifted over the 40+ years since it
was manufactured.  After all, isn't that what happens to Rb standards?

> If so, maybe someone previously tried to adjust it and messed up. If
> not, or it appears original, then I think any mistuning will be in the
> multiplier instead.

Unfortunately I won't be able to test/adjust the multiplier until I can
build an extender card.  But even if the multiplier was slightly off (
can an analog multiplier by _slightly_ off?), wouldn't that just change
the required frequency for the OCXO?  The SRD would still be an exact
multiplier and if the physics package was working properly, I should see
the fundamental and 2nd harmonic as expected.

> You can sweep the cavity by placing coupling loops in there, and then
> see what happens as you go say +/- 100 MHz around the desired center,
> and then at narrower sweeps. You should get an observable peak at or
> near the right frequency, and it should be broad enough to include the
> ideal Rb frequency. When the excitation lamp is on and the cell has
> some light going through, there should be some absorption, and the
> cavity Q may decrease a bit, but I doubt it will have much effect. You
> can try this by sweeping with everything off, and then with the lamp
> on to see if it's noticeable.

My test equipment isn't good enough for that.  I was able to look for
frequencies in the cavity and saw the 92nd, 93rd, and 95th harmonics of
the driver frequency.  But the Rb frequency is at the 98th harmonic.  I
have retuned the cavity so that the strongest signals are the 97th and
98th harmonic.  I hope to get things reassembled today to see if it
changed anything.

Ed