[time-nuts] Crosscorrelation phase noise measurements

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Fri Aug 3 00:06:23 UTC 2012

On 08/03/2012 01:47 AM, Azelio Boriani wrote:
> Excuse my pop-up into this topic, just let me try to complete: you
> cross-correlate and obtain the most probable samples and then do your phase
> noise process on those samples. The cross-correlation is only a filter, a
> preprocessor for the samples. Am I on the right way?

To some degree. The cross-correlation processing is a tool to break free
of the channels added noise and go below it. It doesn't (significantly)
shift your amplitude response in the passband, but you can calibrate and
compensate that. It's thus a de-noiser tool inserted into the process
pipe-line, but other than that the phase-noise calculations is about the
same.

To some degree the DMTD technique is somewhat related, but some of the
correlation gain is usually lost.

Cheers,
Magnus