[time-nuts] What size graphs do people like? (How big is yourscreen?)

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Aug 6 06:39:57 UTC 2012

Hal Murray wrote:
david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk said:
> I load screen shots into Corel Photo Paint 8 and resample the image to a
> good size for a web page somewhere between 600 and 800 pixels
> horizontally.

No, I didn't say that.  Please be more careful in your quoting.  I don't
even own a copy of that program.

Hal Murray wrote:
> Where did 600 or 800 come from?
>
> I don't care what the answer is.  I'm just curious and/or want to make
> graphs
that most people can easily use.

> Here are 3 samples:
  http://www.megapathdsl.net/~hmurray/time-nuts/coax/Front-5ns-1200x800.png
  http://www.megapathdsl.net/~hmurray/time-nuts/coax/Front-5ns-800x600.png
  http://www.megapathdsl.net/~hmurray/time-nuts/coax/Front-5ns-640x480.png
=================================

Hal,

As my minimum screen size is 1024 x 600 (on a netbook PC) I would prefer 800
x 600, although with the browser title and address bars, and the tabs for
the windows, perhaps 500 pixels high would be better, and perhaps 1000
pixels wide.  It might also be worth considering that the aspect ratio of
displays these days is more often 16:10 (or even 16:9), so a 4:3 aspect
ratio graph may not be making the best use of the screen area.

My browser is not normally run maximised on my PCs with a 1600 pixel wide
display, so the 1200 wide would still exceed the window width.  I do like
the idea of linking to a "full resolution" image, where the actual size is
appropriate for the precision of the data being viewed.

Magnus - your GNUPLOT is very nice!  But the mouse tracking doesn't work on
the iPad, or on an Android phone.

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu