[time-nuts] What size graphs do people like? (How big is yourscreen?)

Rex rexa at sonic.net
Wed Aug 8 09:00:40 UTC 2012

Hal,

I never tried to use SVG before, but after your messages tonight I
played around with it a bit. I would never have expected it, but I think
you are right about the issue being a server configuration.

I copied your SVG file and got the same results. On my local hard drive
it opens as a graph. I copied it to my own web pages and I also saw it
display as text.

I browsed around and found this SVG picture:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/22/Heckert_GNU_white.svg
It displays fine at that link. I copied the svg file to my web
directories (hosted by GoDaddy) and there the same file displays as text.

I have a debugging tool add-on on FireFox. I displayed a thing called
'Response Headers' that (I think) come from the server. For the svg link
on my pages I see one field: 'Content-Type: text/plain'. If I do the
same response header display on the wikimedia.org link I see
not work.

If you go to: http://validator.w3.org and enter your link into the
address field
(http://www.megapathdsl.net/~hmurray/time-nuts/coax/Front-5ns-800x600.svg)
then click Check, you will get a message that sort of explains the
situation, except I still don't know how to get the server configured
for for svg file => 'Content-Type: image/svg+xml'.

So it seems most browsers are now ready for SVG, but many servers are
not. Maybe someone else can give us more details on what change might be
required. In the mean time it looks like I won't be using any SVG on my
pages either.

-Rex