[time-nuts] What size graphs do people like? (How big is yourscreen?)

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 17:41:00 UTC 2012

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 11:57 PM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> ps and pdf, at least the way I see them, are not in the same boat as SVG.
> SVG is an image format that can easily be included in a html page.  ps and
> pdf are stand alone.  They assume they control the whole setup and are
> targeted at paper.  Think 8.5x11 or A4.

Here is a random counterexample to the above.
http://www.acousticscale.org/wiki/index.php/File:SHAR_PGW_2009_Staves.eps

That said.  SVG is probably the way to go.  But Postscript (EPS) is more
sophisticated in that PS is an executable script that draws an image.  This
means you can do conditional branching and computation to for example
replace text with grey blocks if scaled below some limit.   SVG is only
descriptive, not executable.   SVG is likely good enough for making a graph.
If you are worried about the size of an SVG file you can use a compressed
link on the web page and cut the amount of data sent to maybe 30%
http://www.websiteoptimization.com/speed/tweak/compress/

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California