[time-nuts] FRK specs.....

EWKehren at aol.com EWKehren at aol.com
Sun Aug 12 16:13:14 UTC 2012

In the commercial world a PRS10  is most likely the best but for  time nuts
even at the surplus price in my opinion it is all hype and a waste of
money. Have you looked closely at the specification and the design. Frequency
accuracy can not be better than 1 E-12 since the OCXO is driven strictly by a
 DAC and the A/V is for time nuts nothing to write home about. Any digital
loop  controlling a Rb  in tern with an analog loop controlling a selected
HP  10811 or for that matter a Morion will outperform a PRS 10.
I have a FRK-H controlling a HP 10811 that has an A/V below 1 E-12 from 1
to 100 seconds, I modified the FRK loop and the 10811. On the 10811 it is
easy  to get to the bottom PCB and without un soldering any component or
further  disassembly cutting two traces and two jumpers you end up with a 2 to 12
Volt  tuning voltage, perfect for a FRK or M100.. A second option is to use
a separate  analog loop with a time constant suitable for your OCXO.
By the way the FRK-H is not lower noise but factor 2 lower aging with the
proper OCXO not an issue, since hopefully you discipline it with GPS.
For 12 years I have used Shera in that application recently switching the
DAC to a  LTC1655. Has served me well over the years.
Other Rb's will do also a very credible job. On one extreme a FEI 5680 is
waiting to be integrated with a MV180 on the other extreme a HP5065 RVFR
assembly will be integrated with a M1000 OCXO along with state of the art
circuitry.
Bert Kehren

In a message dated 8/12/2012 8:09:54 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,