[time-nuts] Trak 8821B ---- was Z3815A Internal SMA 10Mhz Output

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Wed Aug 22 08:12:42 UTC 2012

Hi Bjorn

Is yours also the cut down 2.084MHz version, or do you have a "proper"
8821B with a more useful GPSDO frequency and all the outputs fitted?
I think this one was originally used in a trunked radio  system.

I've just checked and the fitted VP Oncore is  the B8121Z116, so perhaps
the same module, but I'd forgotten until I  looked again that the unit is
without the IRIG-B output as well  as the Low-Rate output that normally allows a
variety of pre-set pulse rates,  hence my "cut down" comment.

The Low-Rate ouput speciification suggests some interesting  possibilities
for experiments in conditioning other oscillators, as  amongst some very
slow pulse rates it also offered an option of 1  MPPS.
Unfortunately, not only are the connectors not fitted but quite a lot of
presumably associated PCB components in that area are also missing.

Do you have a manual for the 8821B?
I've only ever found a manual for the 8821A, although I suspect the  only
significant difference may be the fitting of the larger B7A OCXO  to the
8821B, which necessitated the height increase to 2U, but it would be nice  to be
able to compare them.

regards

Nigel
GM8PZR