[time-nuts] Trak 8821B ---- was Z3815A Internal SMA 10Mhz Output

bg at lysator.liu.se bg at lysator.liu.se
Wed Aug 22 13:54:27 UTC 2012

Hi Nigel,

Yes, I have the same version. We might have got it from the same UK epay
source. The GPS did not work reliably, and I did start testing that module
outside the Trak unit, and also tried VP(8chan) receivers that I had. Did
not really conclude why the GPS did not behave properly. I was, like you,
disappointed by the lack of IRIG and other features that are in the
standard units. I also drew the conclusion this was a "high volume"
special model, where it was cost effective to eliminate all - for the
specific application - unuseful outputs.

However it is a very decent size OCXO inside.

The phase measurement Oncore model is interesting, since I have seen very
few GPSDOs that use phase information. It gives the possibility to reduce
the short term GPS noise to cm/s level. However this is probably lost in
the PPS generation hardware, since the Oncore does not lock its internal
crystal to the external OCXO.

--

    Björn