[time-nuts] newbie question Thunderbolt supply

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 20:26:18 UTC 2012

On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 1:06 PM, Jerry <jsternmd at att.net> wrote:

> I am using a Cisco supply 3 voltage supply for the T-bolt.  Is there any
> performance loss if the +12vdc rail and the -12vdc rail are off by a few %
> in opposite directions, e,g  +11.7 vdc and -12.3vdc ?
>
> The true nuts here on the time nuts list will tell you that the noise from
a switching power supply is bad and that you need a regulated linear power
supply.   But for most practical purposes the Cisco supply is a good one.
 Being only slightly nuts myself.  I use the Cisco   supply but I built a
small power adaptor board with matching connectors and some "pi" filters
made with RF choke and capacitors.  I realy don't thing the filters are
needed but I wanted a connectorized installation and a small choke was as
easy to solder in as a length of wire.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California