[time-nuts] oscillators

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 31 00:01:32 UTC 2012

On 8/30/12 9:33 AM, Bob Camp wrote:
> Hi
>
> The fundamental / third approach is one of several possible ways to go. You
> can also run an SC on the B and C modes to get thermometer data. Early
> implementations used a pair of independent blanks, one cut to be a good
> thermometer. Some have even gone as far as to mount a thermistor on the
> crystal.

I've used the "sensor on oscillator can" technique very recently on a
software defined radio.  Over the next year, I'll get some data on how
well it works in use.  The idea is to use a low power TCXO and a sensor,
rather than an OCXO, to meet a fairly tight frequency requirement (a few
hundred Hz out of 2 GHz)  The TCXO can get you do a few ppm or better.
The sensor should let me get about an order of magnitude better, and I
need to measure the temperature anyway, and it's easy to integrate with
the software waveform code.