[time-nuts] Thunderbolt oven / non-stable operating temperature

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Wed Dec 12 06:06:32 UTC 2012

Hello Tom,

the GPS noise dominates for typical double oven OCXO's where the tempcos
are very small (say below 5E-012 per degree C).

On single oven units, the tempcos are typically 50 to 200 times larger, and
 thus the required EFC change over temperature is also that much larger.

If I am not mistaken Thunderbolts have double oven units, and Mini-T's have
 single oven units?

That EFC change can only be done through either prediction (sensing
temperature and applying a correction factor) or through generating a phase  error
that feeds through the loop system.

Crystal aging also typically requires a constant phase error which will in
turn create a constant change in EFC voltage to correct for aging until
active  aging compensation can measure and apply this change in EFC. The
magnitude of  this phase error typically depends on the loop gain and the rate of
change of  the crystal frequency over time.

In summary, we see fairly significant improvements in single oven systems
with active compensation even during GPS reception, and we don't see much
improvement in double oven units for temperature, but similar improvements
for  double oven units on aging. Now double oven units typically have SC-cut
crystals, and single oven units typically have AT-cut crystals where the AT
cuts  typically have larger aging and retrace than SC cut crystals, so that
can skew  the performance in favor of double oven units as well.

Bye,
Said

In a message dated 12/11/2012 19:41:58 Pacific Standard Time,