[time-nuts] DMTI and Timelab setup

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Thu Dec 13 04:21:50 UTC 2012

Hi, Luciano --

The sampling interval would be whatever rate the counter is returning
readings, as usual.  I usually let the acquisition driver estimate the rate,
unless I know it's exactly one reading per second.

In frequency mode, the scale factor should be 1E-6.   You need the program
to treat the frequency readings as microhertz, to force the 1000000:1
heterodyne factor to be accounted for when the frequency readings are
integrated back to phase differences.

For TI readings the scale factor should also be 1E-6, and you would enter
5E6 as the input frequency.  I *think* that'll make it handle phase wraps
properly, but you might send me a few plots to make sure.  I've never tried
a DMTD with TimeLab before.

-- john