[time-nuts] NMEA Software

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Dec 20 22:41:13 UTC 2012

richard at karlquist.com said:
> I have an Outback S-Lite tractor GPS with a serial port with NMEA. Is there
> ready-to-use software to read out in lat/long from this port?  Maybe I can
> talk to it with hyperterminal and make it just keep sending lat/long once
> per second or something.  Is there a command set?

NMEA is just text.  Normally, they send a clump of "sentences" every second
so something as simple as hyperterminal should work.  If you find something
that looks like lat/long, it probably is.

Some/most devices have a way to turn individual sentence types on/off.
That's usually a proprietary command so you will have to find a data sheet
for your specific device.  (or just ignore/filter the stuff you don't want)

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.