[time-nuts] Just for Fun - Synergy Systems SSR-6T PPS Comparison

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Thu Dec 20 22:46:44 UTC 2012

David,

On 12/20/2012 07:07 AM, David Martin wrote:
> A Day in the Life of Five PPS Sources..
>
> This probably does not qualify as a regular TimeNuts submission as there
> are no Tau's or 10^-12ths but I could not resist a simple scope capture of
> the Pulse Per Second output of my new SSR-6t toy from Synergy Systems as it
> performed its first right-out-of-the box site survey.
>
> See http://youtu.be/kOG9ImT2lvY
>
> This is video is a two minute replay of the PPS behavior of two PRS-10s,
> two TBolts, and the SSR-6t during it's initial 24 hour site survey.

A good illustration. You realize that the T-bolts follow each other
fairly well, as can be expected. The PRS-10s also follow each other
fairly well. The variation between them could be speculated on, but
first suspect would be multipath and satellite geometry. When having bad
receiving conditions, the position moves around a lot, and loosing or
gaining a bird could drastically change the geometry conditions and
hence precision. For the T-bolts, these variations only go out to phase
changes.

If you would log the sat positions and tracking status alongside these
deviations you might get a better feel for these effects.

Also, the T-bolts avoids the sawtooth dance by steering the 10 MHz clock.

Cheers,
Magnus