[time-nuts] clock-block any need ?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 16:05:11 UTC 2012

> You do not need to use something like the Clock-Block to build a very good NTP server, but if you want to build the *ultimate* server it is part of the mix.

Yes this is true.  The server can be "very good", meaning that if it
were better the clients that it servers could not "know" the
difference.  A simple is if a wall clock moved the hands with
millisecond precision, it would not serve the clients (human eyeballs)
any better if it moved with nanosecond precision because human
perception is measured in mS not nS.  Same with the time server, it
communicates with its clients over a network that has someuncertainy
in th delay and ultra-presision is lost.   So nanosecond level
timekeeping in the server is not required.   You can do uSec level
time keeping with the standard TTL can on most mother boards.
However this list is for "nuts" and you might think it is fun to try
and do 1000 times better time keeping than is needed, in that case you
will need some kind of specialized clock hardware.

Most nuts, I think would like to have a microsecond level wall clock
even if it were pointless.
--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California