[time-nuts] New to Time Synching hardware - needing some advice

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 18:19:46 UTC 2012

Yes you could us something like one of the low-cost rubidium
oscilators to supply a pulse per second to Linux NTP and it would work
for some time before the error was as large as 10 mS.

One missing requirement is how long you need be without GPS or
networking.  Obviously you can't stay out of contact with the world
forever but it is very easy and cheap if you only need a day. Harder
if you need a month and expensive if you are talking about years.

Let's say there are on-order of 100,000 seconds in a day.  You can
tolerate 0.01 second error.   So, can tolerate a one part in
10,000,000 drift in the clock per day.  That is the kind of thingking
you need to do to come up with a clock requirement.  All it takes in
money and you can get almost whatever you need.  But don't
over-specify your needs you it will cost you, a bunch.

On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 9:52 AM, Roy B <saskaroy at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I am new to time synching hardware but have done Linux NTP so I have a little experience in that but I need some advice for a different project.
>
> I have a PC running Linux that I would like to have on a stable time with roughly 10 millisecond accuracy however this machine is located in a place where it cant get network, GPS, or radio signals.
>
> Is there something like an Atomic Clock that I could set to the correct time over radio/gps/network and then take this box to the PC?
>
> Anything that I have looked at just assumes that you have a continuous outside connection from somewhere.
> Roy

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California