[time-nuts] Rubidium Performance: DDS noise effect on 10 MHz

Javier Herrero jherrero at hvsistemas.es
Sat Feb 4 10:13:49 UTC 2012

Hello, John,

Your phase noise plot seems quite similar to that sent by Said some time
ago (4 Jan), that looks like a lot of spurs quite evenly separated. It
is likely from the price and p/n that your unit is one of the "newer"
ones with 60MHz xtal and the DDS inside the loop - and I would think
that the pn from the DDS would be removed by the loop. But since the
division from 60MHz is done by a CPLD, perhaps the signal is corrupted
by this CPLD, or perhaps it is corrupted by a switching regulator inside
the unit.

The 60MHz signal is available inside the unit, in a small coaxial
connector. Perhaps it would be interesting to also analyze it.

Regards,

Javier