[time-nuts] FE-5680A firmware dump

Elio Corbolante eliocor at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 23:30:17 UTC 2012

From: "Steve ." <iteration69 at gmail.com>

> I've been considering ripping the firmware from the mcu as well.  I've not
> got beyond the consideration stages, but i have all the equipment here at
> work. When you say that the read option is not available. is this because
> the chip has protection fuses enabled?
>
> Also, what programmer do you have, Here at work I have a galep-5 which
> AFAIK can read both the mcu and cpld/fgpa/pga, whatever it is (provided
> they are not locked, or the state machine encrypted)

My programmer is a MQP Pin-Master 48 <http://www.mqp.com/pm48.htm> which
directly support the PSD chip via JTAG (JAM STAPL files).
According to this document: <http://www.mqp.com/pdf/apnotes/30201.pdf> the
programmer does not support "auxiliary" functions like "reading" the
device, but only erase/program/verify.

The official programmer/software (FlashLINK/PSDsoft Express) <
http://www.st.com/internet/com/SOFTWARE_RESOURCES/TOOL/CONFIGURATION_UTILITY/um0050.zip>
permits to "dump" the content of the PSD in an .obj file, but at this date
I have not this programmer and I have to build it <
http://www.st.com/internet/com/TECHNICAL_RESOURCES/TECHNICAL_LITERATURE/USER_MANUAL/CD00004566.pdf>
:-(

If you are able to dump the software using your Galep 5, you are welcome!!!
:-)
Otherwise my two options will be:
1) to build a FlashLINK clone, hoping the PSD contents are not protected:
according to this document <
http://www.st.com/internet/com/TECHNICAL_RESOURCES/TECHNICAL_LITERATURE/USER_MANUAL/CD00004566.pdf>
(Pag. 17) the protection flag can't be enabled using the JTAG interface...
2) to remove the PSD chip and read its contents using a different
microprocessor (this will work for certain)

_      Elio.