[time-nuts] PICTIC II questions

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Feb 7 11:35:29 UTC 2012

attila at kinali.ch said:
> BTW: does anyone know how these days low cost FPGAs perform in terms of
> jitter? (the data sheets are kind of scarce in that regard). And how do they
> compare to state of the art ECL logic?

Generally, not good.

The general problem is that they have a lot of logic and a lot of I/O drivers
and shared power/ground pins.  Things are messy if you have multiple clocks.
Things are better if you only have one clock and better if you don't have any
nearby drivers switching at the same time.

For a few critical signals, you could reclock in an external FF.