[time-nuts] Why a 10MHz sinewave output?

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Tue Feb 7 20:09:38 UTC 2012

On 02/07/2012 08:12 PM, Hal Murray wrote:

> lists at rtty.us said:
>> Thank goodness for that inertia. I can still cable up a 100Kcps sine wave
>> standard to run stuff from "long ago". When I run into a box that uses a T1
>> signal for a clock reference - not so easy in the basement.
>
> How much gear is there that uses T1 for a clock input?
>
> Is there any interest in a board/chip/whatever that converts 10 MHz to T1?  A
> clean design using a decimal DDS should fit into a small FPGA, maybe a CPLD.

1,544 MHz is a bit funny, 193*8 kHz. On the other hand, a 1250 sample
long sample-memory and then toss that through a DAC and the sine can
then be smoothed.

A 2,048 MHz (256*8 kHz) could do just the same.

If you need a squarewave, then a sine to square converter will produce a
fairly accurate transition time signal.

Cheers,
Magnus