[time-nuts] Using digital broadcast TV for timing?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Feb 8 11:00:43 UTC 2012

> Maybe cell site transmissions are better?

At least one company makes them.

http://tinyurl.com/72j5e6n
http://www.endruntechnologies.com/telecom-primary-reference-source.htm

It's CDMA.  I don't know much about cell phones, but I think that's the old
protocol that will probably/eventually fade away.

I don't know anybody who has worked with them.  The advantage is that you can
set them up in your machine room and don't need an outside antenna.  (If your
cell phone works there, this should work too.)

I'd expect the time accuracy would be not as good as GPS.  It would be off by
the time-of-flight from the cell tower, 5 microseconds per mile.  That's 5
microseconds per mile which is no problems unless you are a time-nut.  (I
don't know if the cell towers add more to that.)