[time-nuts] PTS synthesizers

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 9 00:17:26 UTC 2012

On 2/8/12 3:23 PM, EB4APL wrote:
> I want to take advantage of the topic just to ask if anybody has any
> manual or schematics of the PTS 040. I realize that the PTS 160 is close
> enough, taking in account the different frequency range, and they use
> almost the same modules but it would be nice to have the right manual.
>
> What is about the remote interface? Please, share the info.

Way back in the 80s, I used a PTS and the remote interface, so I'm going
off memory. As I recall, it's basically a BCD parallel thing with a
strobe. The general architecture of their synthesizers is a series of
decade modules, so the parallel interface just extends that to as many
digits as you have modules.

Settling time to the new frequency is pretty fast (<1 microsecond, I
think) but not necessarily phase continuous, and, there can be glitches
during the transition (i.e. if one module switches faster than the
others).  no fancy-shmancy DDSes back in those days.