[time-nuts] Literature on low noise and HF electronics

Charles P. Steinmetz charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com
Sat Feb 11 09:09:44 UTC 2012

Attila wrote:

>The recent discussions have made it again clear to me, that i lack
>a lot of knowledge in electronics. Especially when it comes to
>the black arts: analog stuff, HF, getting the most ouf of a transistor,
>or doing it really really low noise.
>
>Could someone recomend anything to read that would get me more
>insights and knowledge on these topics?

There are a few good textbooks (read, lots of math) on HF and low
noise design if you have the math and physics foundation.

The way you presented your request, it sounds as if you may want
something more foundational.  If so, I would highly recommend The Art
of Electronics by Horowitz and Hill and Experimental Methods in RF
Design by Hayward, Campbell, and Larkin.  I have used them both as
textbooks for designers at a variety of levels, and they are
exceptional for the authors' ability to convey an intuitive
understanding of the material.  They both have sufficient math that
someone familiar with the field will not feel slighted, but they
don't rely solely on the math to get their points across as most
textbooks do.  They are remarkable for being useful to designers and
aspiring designers at widely varying levels of competence.  I do not
know of a similar book about low-noise design, but it is covered
quite well in both of the books above.

Best regards,

Charles