[time-nuts] OCXO phase noise

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Mon Feb 13 08:06:28 UTC 2012

On 02/13/2012 08:28 AM, Javier Herrero wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm planning to use in an application this oscillator
> http://www.abracon.com/Precisiontiming/AOCJY.pdf in the 40MHz version.
> The phase noise data in the data sheet is for the 10MHz version. Is it
> possible to "extrapolate" these numbers to what I could expect in the
> 40MHz version? Any guideline?

A quick and dirty analysis comes from assuming the same noise but
chopped up differently by the frequency, then for original frequency f1
and target frequency f2 you get the scale-factor f2/f1. Similarly, the
dB variant becomes 20*log(f2/f1) so for f1=10 MHz and f2=40 MHz you get
the scale factor 4 which turns out about 12 dB higher.

It's not perfect, but gives you a hint of what to expect.

Cheers,
Magnus