[time-nuts] FE-5680A Question

Rex rexa at sonic.net
Tue Feb 14 11:11:00 UTC 2012

The Efrotoms (FRS-C. Lpro) find the lock by modulating the microwave
frequency with an audio signal (127 Hz if I remember right) which causes
the light sense modulated signal to double in frequency when centered on
the hyperfine frequency. See the manuals for nice description. The 5680A
seems to accomplish the same thing by stepping the frequency +/- 700 Hz
rather than mixing in modulation. Never saw any documentation on that,
but seems to be implied by the great hacking Javier Herrero has done on
the loop frequencies.

Seems to me that finding lock, that is finding the dip, may be a bit
harder with the stepping than with the modulation. Maybe the observed
drop in frequency during start up is part of the algorithm to walk the
stepped frequency to center on the hyperfine light transmission dip.