[time-nuts] Any spare switches for Racal-Dana 1992?

Andrea Baldoni erm1eaae7 at ermione.com
Wed Feb 22 09:10:39 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 06:52:57PM -0500, Charles P. Steinmetz wrote:

> I wrote:
> >>Speaking from extensive experience, if you need 2 now, plan on needing
> >>somewhere between 5 and 31 more over the next year or two.
>
> Stewart replied:
>
> >That is my experience.
> >I never managed to find any exact replacements here in England
> >so I ended up replacing the mechanism with some SMT switches
> >and using a probe to press them.
>
> And unfortunately, the parts units you find for sale invariably have
> bad switches.  I have more than once tried to use switches from a
> donor unit to repair a 1992, and they have all promptly failed
> during post-op testing.  In one case, six successive switches failed

More or less I solved that way: I replaced the innards of the switches with
the innards of common 6x6mm tactile PCB switches. They are very different,
based on a metal flat spring instead of a soft conductive plastic, but I found
that they work anyway (but with some bounces sometimes...).
I had to mask with thin tape some part of the electrodes. It's a time consuming
work but you never have to do it again...

Best regards,
Andrea Baldoni

---
Ermione s.r.l.