[time-nuts] MINOS Status on Measuring Neutrino Velocity

Tom Van Baak (lab) tvb at leapsecond.com
Wed Feb 22 20:45:31 UTC 2012

Marvin ,

Sounds like you're making great progress on a nanosecond timing system. Question: what are you doing with the Novatel data? Is it used to error correct later on or are you using it to steer in near real time?

Answer: on the 5071A serial port; I issue a SYST:PRINT? command every 5 minutes and log the ascii output for each clock. That gives you all the raw data you need; grep or perl takes care of the rest.

You can check with NIST or USNO to see what they do. The data is mostly good for very long term health monitoring so some people only take data once a day or hour. For portable clock trips I like more frequent updates than that.

/tvb (iPhone4)