[time-nuts] OT - Portable Digital 'scope

Robert LaJeunesse rlajeunesse at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 23 21:25:51 UTC 2012

FWIW Rigol pushes their 40MHz Analog Devices part to 100 MHz without any problem
(seen in eevblog teardown). Yes it's sort of cheating, but if the part works
fine because all of the suppliers parts now yeild that fast due to an improved
process well, it saves a few dollars / quid / drachma...

And the 40MSPS is over full temp range, likely this is not a problem for the DSO
203 which has NO temp rating.

Yes the "72MHz analog" channel rating makes no sense for something sampling at
72MSPS, Nyquist says you get at most 36 MHz bandwith. I saw no anti-aliasing
filter (well, C9 or C11 and C73 do some roll off) so who knows what the screen
will actually show. Might make a decent 10MHz scope, at which point the use of
FET solid-state relays doesn't concern me so much.

I was surprised that they use trimmers on the input to match the channels,
that's a nice touch but does add some loading. The U1B op-amp is disconnected
for higher input voltage ranges so it doesn't overload and distort the signal,
which is processed by the U1A amp for those ranges. Perhaps not good that the
U1B input is left effectively floating.

Bob LaJeunesse